We are fans of iterative software development and daily scrums but we hate meetings and the scrum was a meeting. So we canned it and instead at the end of every day each of us updates a shared Google Doc with answers to these questions:
- What did you do today? (we use video to “show” what we did)
- Decisions pending? (are you owed a decision)
- Barriers faced? (anything stopping you)
- How can we make it simpler? (KISS)
- Are you on schedule? (can you meet the deadline)
- What’s on for tomorrow? (your punch list)
The next day we post questions and comments in the journal based upon the above, and come the end of that day we make another entry and repeat. No meetings, no email. Best thing we have ever done!